Historic Homes For Sale
At one time, Waxahachie was home to four nice Bed and Breakfast Inns. At some point, a city ordinance was passed which seemed to favor one B&B over the others placing such severe restrictions on the type of events, the number of people and even the number of cars allowed to park at the B&B. The ordinance was actually forcing other B&Bs out of business. These restrictions were so limiting two of the four B&B's went out of business.
The most famous of these was the Rosemary Mansion, now a private residence. This was a beautiful and historic Bed and Breakfast and would have been a great place to have weddings, not to mention the historic tourists it would have brought to Waxahachie.
The 44th Gingerbread Trail 2012
Arts & Crafts Fair Plein Air Painting "Paint Historic Waxahachie" June 2nd & 3rd, 2012 Waxahachie, Texas benefiting the Ellis County Museum, Inc. Changes for the 2012 Gingerbread Trail, Houses will be open Saturday and Sunday from 10 AM - 4 PM rather than 10 AM - 6 PM as in past years. FREE BUS TRANSPORTATION TO TOUR HOMES, with downtown pickup at the Ellis County Museum.
The Bell Home
The Queen Anne and Shingle style home located at 209 Grand Avenue in Waxahachie has silently presided over the town since it was first built in 1896.
The Rosemary Mansion
This house is one of only two examples of Georgian Revival (a modification of Roman lines known as Palladian, after Andera Palladio for his 16th century Italian Villas) architecture in Waxahachie.P. A. Chapman, an extremely successful banker, rancher and oilman, built this structure in 1916. Noted architect, C. A. Bulger, famous for the first steel reinforced concrete skyscraper in Dallas, The Praetorian Building, designed the home.Cal Ramsey, a local builder of some note, constructed the house as well as the Ellis County 1929 Jail.
The Smith House
The Smith House - Built between 1887 and 1889 by O. F. Parks, this stately Victorian has the builder’s initials elaborately carved in the front door, but he never lived in the house. Although it was evidently purchased by an attorney, a realtor and a New York investment firm, it was unoccupied until 1907.